How to Use Your American Express Credit Card Points to Book Flights
Transferring your credit card points into miles is why many of us use credit cards in the first place. But, to be honest, the process takes a few steps, and the sites don't make it easy for you. Today, I'm walking you through how to use your American Express credit card points to book a flight on Delta Airlines, but the process is pretty similar regardless of which airline you wish to use!
Here's what you do:
1. Sign into Delta Skymiles. First, you'll want to sign into Delta to see how many points you need to transfer for the flight you're looking at. If you're not a Skymiles member yet, I highly recommend it, Delta may not be as jazzy as Virgin America, but their flights are generally more affordable, and it's free to be a member. Once you've signed in, go to 'Book a Trip'.
2. Input the info for the flight you want. Click the option at the top to show the price in miles instead of money. This will allow you to see the how many miles the flight will cost you so you know how many to transfer. If you're checking for a round trip flight, you'll need to first check the miles for the outbound flight, and then for your return flight. For example, for our upcoming trip to New York and DC, it'll cost us 25k points for two passengers for the outbound flight, and another 25k for the return flight. (Side note, we are flying into DC on a red eye, and returning on a flight from JFK during the week, so it is actually only costing us 25k miles total!) Keep that tab open, and open another to transfer the points now. We'll come back to it!
3. Sign into your American Express account. Now that you know how many miles you need, you're ready to transfer your points! Sign into your account and click on 'Membership Rewards' on the upper right hand side.
4. Click Travel from the Membership Rewards page. You'll be taken to a page the shows you all of the way you can use your points. Click on the 'Travel' tab.
5. Click Transfer Points from the Travel page. From there, you'll be taken to a page to link your various loyalty programs (if they're not already linked) and transfer your points.
6. Click the airline you would like to transfer points from. In this case, we're using Delta Airlines SkyMiles.
7. Transfer points for miles. Input the number of miles you need in the box marked 'SkyMiles' and it will tell you how many points you need to transfer. Note: transfers have to be made in increments of 1,000, so you may need to transfer more than you actually need (those scoundrels!)
8. Confirm your transfer. Finally, you'll be taken to a confirmation page to confirm your transfer. This is a good time to check and make sure that you're transferring the correct amount of points.
9. Complete your flight purchase with Delta. You should now be able to complete the purchase of your flight, select your seats, input your passenger info etc. It can sometimes take several hours for your points to transfer. If this happens, you may need to refresh the page and start over, but in my experience, points were transferred right away.
Hope this has been helpful! Have additional questions on how to use your points for miles? Let us know!